5 Healthy Fall Treats Kids Will Love
- Pancakes. Start everyone’s morning out right. The kids will be happy with the sweetness of these tasty Banana-Berry Pancakes, and you’ll be happy knowing they are getting a nutrient-rich breakfast. Serve with low-fat milk.
- Appetizers for Lunch. Kids will flip and so will their friends when they take fun foods for lunch. Pack kiddos with nutrient-dense foods to get the most into them during the short amount of time they have to eat. Try celery stalks filled with tuna or egg salad, veggies and hummus, and leftover cheese filled pasta skewered on toothpicks with cherry tomatoes.
- Wrap It, Smash It, or Tuck It. Kids complaining of sandwiches yet? Switch out regular bread for 100% whole wheat tortillas, pita bread, whole wheat bagels (mini bagels are good too), or whole grain flatbread. Make them colorful by adding a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Rice Cakes with Nut Butter & Fruit. Make a quick and healthy snack with whole grain rice cakes, nut butter and a sprinkle of dried fruit or sliced fresh fruit. To make your own nut butter, you will need a powerful blender or food processor. Add about 2 cups of roasted nuts and let it process for 8-10 minutes or until smooth (scraping the sides as needed).
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Stew. End the day with a hearty fall dinner of warm stew that will leave everyone begging for seconds.
|Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Your Meals|
|Low-Fat & Low-Calorie Dishes & Desserts|
Video Center: Fruit & Veggie Selection, Storage, Preparation
Ask The Expert about Fruits & Vegetables
Cooking with Your Kids
Fresh, Frozen, Canned, Dried and 100% Juice: It All Matters
Fruit & Vegetable Nutrition Database