Insider’s Viewpoint: 5 Ways Fruits & Veggies Can Help Create a New You
Many of us have health and nutrition goals for the New Year. Whether you are looking to slim down or just eat better, fruits and veggies can help! Here are five ways that fruits and vegetables can help create a new you …
- Nutrient Variety. Fruits and vegetables contain multiple vitamins and minerals. The different colors mean different nutrients, so eating a variety of colors each day will ensure you cover your micronutrient bases. Enjoy red, yellow, orange, purple, blue, green and all the colors in between!
- High Fiber. The fiber content of fruits and vegetables can help fill you up and keep you fuller longer. Plus, fiber may contribute to heart health and a healthy gut. All the more reason to indulge in fruits and vegetables every day this year.
- Low Calorie, High Nutrition. Fruits and vegetables are relatively low in calories. Calories measure the amount of energy we get from the foods we eat. Weight management is all about energy balance. If we don’t burn the energy we consume, it is stored as fat, which can lead to weight gain. Eating more fruits and vegetables delivers nutrition, without a lot of calories. Of course, portion sizes should always be considered.
- Convenience. Produce comes in a variety of forms, making it easy and convenient to include in a healthy lifestyle. Fresh, frozen, canned, or dried are all great options. Fruits and vegetables are canned or frozen at the peak of freshness and nutrition, providing the produce you love no matter the season.
- Immune System Boost. Nothing drains motivation more than being sick. Fruits and veggies are packed with antioxidants to support a healthy immune system. Choose fruits and vegetables with darker colors for higher antioxidant content. Feel your best, so you can make better food and health decisions all year long!
Elizabeth Hall, RDN, LDN
Corporate / Retail Registered Dietitian
Food City, K-VA-T Food Stores, Inc.