Insider’s Viewpoint: Better Burgers & Sides
For many people, Memorial Day is the unofficial kickoff to Summer! If you’re like me, you can’t wait to break out the grill to host a cookout. There are plenty of ways to add more fruits and veggies to the menu.
A Better Burger
- Discover the Blendability of Mushrooms. Try blending finely diced fresh mushrooms into lean ground meat before grilling to help keep burgers moist and juicy.
- Pile on Tasty Toppings. Go beyond traditional lettuce, tomato and pickle and try adding roasted red peppers, avocado slices, and fresh or sautéed sweet onions to your next burger.
- Make ‘em Mini. Just by reducing the size of your burger and bun to “slider” size, you can trim calories by 50% or more.
Jazz Up Your Side Dishes
- Give Your Kale a Massage. Use a massage technique to help relax kale greens to tenderize and break down the natural plant fibers. This step also helps incorporate the taste of your salad dressing into each and every bite.
- Reinvent Pasta Salad. Turn classic pasta primavera into a delicious picnic salad. Sauté crushed garlic in extra virgin olive oil along with diced red onion, sliced asparagus, colorful bell pepper slices and carrots sliced into ribbons. Add a simple broth-based sauce along with sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh basil. Toss with prepared pasta and freshly shredded Parmesan cheese. Serve hot or cold.
- Add Crunch to Chicken Salad. To boost flavor and crunch in classic chicken salad, toss in diced Gala or Granny Smith apples, diced celery, sliced red grapes and walnuts. Then, mix in a few golden raisins and dried tarragon to add a subtle, sweet flavor that will delight your guests.
Mushroom Blue Cheese Burger
Greek Kale Salad
Salmon Dill Sliders
Primavera Pasta Salad
Chipotle BBQ Sliders
Fruit and Walnut Chicken Salad
Karen Buch RDN, LDN
Director, Lifestyle Initiatives
Weis Markets, Inc.