The Everyday Chef: Tomato Mostarda, A Flavorful Topping for Burgers & Vegetables
Andrew Dole, RDN, CEC
Everyday Chef, Fruits & Veggies—More Matters
As one of my favorite condiments ever, this tomato mostarda takes advantage of ripe summer tomatoes by turning them into a flavor-packed topping for burgers and grilled vegetables.
My food fantasy? A grilled burger with arugula, balsamic vinegar, slice of fresh mozzarella, roasted red pepper, and giant spoonful of mostarda!
Don’t want meat? Swap out the burger with a grilled portabella mushroom or slices of grilled eggplant. You can’t go wrong with either.
3 Tbsp tomato paste
2 lb. tomato, roma/plum
1/3 Cup red wine vinegar
2 Tsp coarse kosher salt
1/4 Tsp black pepper
1/3 Cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp whole grain mustard
3 each bay leaf, dried
1. Place all but bay leaves into food processor or blender.
2. Pulse until tomatoes are a thick purée.
3. Transfer tomato mixture into a sauce pan. Add bay leaves.
4. Simmer on low, stirring frequently, until mostarda reaches a thick BBQ/Ketchup sauce consistency.
5. When consistency is achieved start tasting. If the mostarda is flat in flavor (not vibrant) stir in small amounts of red wine vinegar until flavor intensifies.
6. Refrigerate in a tightly covered container for several weeks.
Nutrient Analysis/Per Serving: Calories: 30, Protein: 1g, Carbs: 6g, Total Fat: 0g
Sat Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 230mg, Fiber: 0g
Photo Credit: Andrew Dole