Healthy Breakfast Ideas
I’m sure that you have heard the expression, “breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” Well, it’s true. A number of studies have shown that people who start their day with a healthy breakfast are more likely to eat healthier the rest of the day, are able to concentrate better, and are usually able to maintain a healthy weight. However, not all breakfasts are created equal! It’s important to choose a healthy breakfast that will leave you feeling full of energy to start your day off right! Here are some of my favorite healthy breakfast ideas.
Quick and Easy Choices
- Ready-to-eat whole grain cereal with skim milk and fresh berries
- Oatmeal topped with chopped nuts, a touch of brown sugar, and sliced bananas
- Swirl applesauce and raisins in a bowl of hot oatmeal. Serve with a glass of skim milk.
- Whole wheat English muffin topped with peanut butter and sliced apples
- Fresh fruit salad mixed with low-fat cottage cheese
- Fresh fruit smoothie – mix banana, strawberries, skim milk, and ice cubes. Blend.
- Peanut butter smoothie – mix skim milk, a scoop of peanut butter, banana, and ice. Blend
- Whole grain waffles with low-sugar syrup topped with fresh berries
- Breakfast Wrap: Turkey slices on a whole grain tortilla with a slice of reduced fat cheese and sliced avocado
- Breakfast parfait – layer low-fat yogurt, fresh fruit, and whole grain crunch cereal
Have a little extra time, try some of these meal ideas:
|Prep time: 10 minutes||Cook time: 15 minutes|
3g saturated fat
Natalie Menza, RD
Wakefern Food Corporation