Healthy Fall Entertaining
5 Healthy Appetizers
- Party Tray. Instead of the same boring vegetable tray… spark more appeal at your next party with different in season vegetable choices. Dip them in a healthy vegetable dip with non-fat sour cream. Recipe: Carrot Tuna Vegetable Dip
- Edible Eyeballs. This Halloween save your kids’ teeth with fun themed vegetable appetizers! Cut whole carrots in to 1-inch thick chunks, top with a blob of low-fat cream cheese and one half of a pitted black olive to make an “edible eyeball.” Try this same concept with other similarly shaped fruits and vegetables! The more creative you are, the more likely your kids will be willing to try them.
- Muscadine Grapes. These southern grown fruits are much larger than most grape varieties. Serve with low-fat fruit dip.
- Desert Nachos. Top pita chips with sliced fruits, coconut flakes, and crushed nuts. Allow guests to assemble their own nachos by creating a ‘make your own nachos bar!
- Salsa & Gazpacho. Instead of pouring it out of a can, impress your guests with something fresh and full of nutrients. Try our Farmer’s Market Gazpacho, or one of our 21 Salsa Recipes—most are ready in less than 15 minutes!
5 Healthy Beverages
- Homemade Apple Cider. Place 10 apples in a large stockpot and add enough water cover by at least 2 inches. Stir in 1 Tbsp of cinnamon and allspice. Bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, for 1 hour. Cover pot, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 hours. Strain apple mixture though a fine mesh sieve and discard solids. Drain cider again though a cheesecloth lined sieve. Refrigerate until cold and enjoy!
- Fizz. Combine seltzer water or sparkling water with any 100% juice concentrate. Kids love these and you can even have them create their own. Recipe: Grapefruit Fizz
- Autumn Punch. Combine freshly sliced plums with a blend of 100% apple-cranberry juice and diet ginger ale or lemon-lime soda.
- Fruity Tea. With the weather getting colder, warm up with a hot cup of fruity tea, filled with fresh cut fruits for added color, texture, and nutrition!
- Cran-licious Smoothie. Cranberries are in season! Whirl up this kid-friendly recipe from our Cool Fuel Cookbook—ready in 5 minutes!
|Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Your Meals|
|Low-Fat & Low-Calorie Dishes & Desserts|
|5 Healthy Dishes Kids Will Love|
Video Center: Fruit & Veggie Selection, Storage, Preparation
Ask The Expert about Fruits & Vegetables
Cooking with Your Kids
Fresh, Frozen, Canned, Dried and 100% Juice: It All Matters
Fruit & Vegetable Nutrition Database