Healthy Holiday Desserts
Looking for an easy way to eat healthier this holiday season? We’ve got one sweet little idea for you. Eat dessert! But make it fruit. Fruit makes a naturally sweet and healthy choice at the end of a meal. With just a little enhancement — and not many more calories — you can turn fruit into a gourmet treat worthy of a special holiday meal.
Quick & Easy Fruit Desserts
- Sliced navel oranges drizzled with fat-free chocolate syrup and topped with toasted sliced almonds.
- Angel food cake topped with a fruit purée made from fresh or unsweetened frozen berries or mixed fruit.
- Apple wedges drizzled with fat-free caramel sauce.
- Fruit kebabs served with a dip made from low-fat vanilla yogurt.
- A fruit parfait made with a layer of fresh pineapple or canned pineapple (in its own juice), a layer of prepared low-fat vanilla or lemon pudding, a layer of thawed frozen blueberries and another layer of pudding.
- Cherry-Chocolate-Almond Pudding – Prepare a 4-serving size of fat-free chocolate fudge pudding and mix in ½ teaspoon of almond extract and 2 cups of fresh or frozen pitted cherries.
- Rice pudding made with brown rice, fat-free liquid eggs and low-fat milk. Stir in dried cherries or mashed ripe bananas.
- Pears poached in white grape juice and topped with fat-free chocolate syrup and a dollop of reduced-fat whipped dessert topping.
Natalie Menza, MS, RD
Manager of Health and Wellness
Wakefern Food Corporation