How Do Fruits & Veggies Help You Maintain a Healthy Weight?
- Low in calories. Most fruits and vegetables are low in calories compared to the same volume of other foods. Volume Comparisons: How to Save Calories by Eating Fruits & Veggies
- Help you feel full. Fruits and veggies have a high water and fiber content, which helps you feel full and may help delay feelings of hunger between eating occasions.
- Help you eat less. Eating raw or crisply steamed cooked vegetables requires more chewing, which may slow the pace of eating, helping to decrease intake at a meal.
- Replace ‘bad’ foods. Fruits and veggies replace foods that are high in fat and sugar.
- Nutrient-dense food. Fruits & veggies have more vitamins and minerals for the same amount of calories as foods with ‘empty calories’ such as candy, soda and other high-sugar foods.
- Fulfill your sweet tooth. Fruits can satisfy your sweet cravings so you don’t reach for the brownies and ice cream or that bag of hard candy in your desk.
- Provide energy. Eating a balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals (lots of fruits & veggies) gives you more energy to do everyday tasks and exercise (which will burn more calories!)
Jump To …
Dietary Guidelines for Americans
Fill Half Your Plate with Fruits & Veggies
Recipes with Lots of Fruits & Veggies
How Many Fruits and Vegetables Do You Need?
What Does a Cup of Fruits & Veggies Look Like?
The Importance of Physical Activity