How to Shop for Fruits & Vegetables … On the Fly
- If the peppers are spectacular, plan to stuff them for Monday’s dinner and add them to a chicken Caesar’s salad on Wednesday.
- If the broccoli is great, pair it with baked chicken on Tuesday (and use the leftover chicken for Wednesday’s Caesar’s salad).
- If the tomatoes are sensational, add them to pasta on Thursday and make Panini’s with deli turkey for Friday.
- Use leftover veggies to make a grand stir fry for Saturday.
Once you’ve exhausted the produce aisle, look for ways to enhance your meals with store specials. Try this …
- If canned green beans on sale, add them to the stir fry.
- If dried apricots and nuts are that week’s special, make a trail mix and divide into baggies for on-the-go snacks.
- If the frozen fruit is a steal, plan to use it in smoothies for breakfast some mornings.
Building your meals around the fruits and veggies is a great way to make sure that you include them in every meal and throughout the day.
Fresh, Frozen, Canned, Dried and 100% Fruit: It All Matters
Fruit and Vegetable Nutrition Database
Ask The Expert about Fruits and Vegetables
Fruit and Vegetable Recipe Database
Top 10 Ways to Get Kids Involved in Healthy Cooking & Shopping