Insider’s Viewpoint: Expert Supermarket Advice
I love the overwhelming feeling of summer when I walk into my favorite grocery store (Market Street, of course). My skin is immediately greeted by the blast of cool air that relieves me from the Texas heat. Then, my eyes are greeted by the pale green husks and golden kernels of summer corn all while my nose is greeted by the intoxicating smell of the juicy Texas peaches on display.
While I eat my fair share of fresh corn on the cob during the summer months, I know I can enjoy corn in its polenta form year round. Both polenta and corn on the cob can be made even better when kissed by the grill. This lead us to this perfectly paired recipe which combines both polenta and peaches for a fast appetizer or side dish to your next grill-out.
Peach and Gorgonzola Grilled Polenta Rounds with Chipotle Honey Sauce
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 20 Minutes
Serving Size: 6 to 8, as an appetizer or side
- 1 tube polenta, removed from plastic, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1 peach, sliced thin
- ½ cup honey
- 1-2 tablespoon chipotle in adobo
- Brush both sides of the polenta cakes with the olive oil, and set aside.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to high heat. Lay the polenta rounds in one layer on the grill, and grill for 5 minutes on each side or until both sides are golden and crunchy and have grill marks.
- Remove the cakes from the grill and place on a large sheet of tin foil. Turn the grill down to medium.
- Top each polenta round with an even amount of gorgonzola cheese and 2 to 3 slices of peach. Carefully lift the foil onto the grill and grill for 5 minutes or until the cheese is warm and melty. Remove from the grill and drizzle with the chipotle honey.
- To make the chipotle honey, add the honey and chipotle in adobo to a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Taste and add more chipotle if you like it smokier/hotter.
Alicia Jerome MS, RND, LDN
Health & Wellness Manager
The United Family of Stores
The obesity rate in American children has tripled over the past 30 years, and their expected lifespan is now less than their parents! There are things you can do at home … and at school … to help change this!
Take the PLEDGE – Let Us Help You Stop this Trend!