Low-Fat & Low-Calorie Dishes
5 Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Entrées & Side Dishes
- Sweet Potatoes. Use low-fat or non-fat milk instead of heavy cream. Also, try low-fat sour cream instead of cooking with butter. Recipe: Sweet Potatoes with Maple Syrup
- Artichoke Hearts. Artichokes are great in dips, on pizzas, in wraps, baked with olive oil, and more! See our videos for creative ways to use artichokes!
- Sweet Potato Pancakes. Rise and shine to these rich, filling, and nutritious pancakes! Prepare them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Recipe: Sweet Potato Pancakes
- French Onion Vegetable Dip. Substitute fat-free sour cream and dry French onion soup mix (low-sodium) to decrease fat and sodium.
- Stew. Using a slow cooker is a simple way to have a hearty dinner ready after a long day. Add all of your favorite vegetables and lean meats with low-sodium broths to make a vitamin-rich stew. Recipe: Turkey and Cranberry Stew
5 Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Desserts
- Poached Pears. Ever tried it? Try this quick and easy way to prepare dessert using this juicy fall fruit! See our Poached Pears video to learn how!
- Pumpkin & Carrot Bars. Add more vitamin A to this fall favorite. Modify your pumpkin bars recipe by using egg whites, margarine or olive oil spread, and grated carrots!
- A Healthier Apple Crisp. Who doesn’t love apple crisp? Try adding all of your favorite fruits with low-fat granola (instead of crust) to cut down the calories. Recipe: Kiwifruit Cobbler
- Fruit Compote. Compotes are great for topping hot oatmeal, frozen yogurt, and more. Taste the flavors of fall in our Orange & Granola Compote or our Fruit Compote recipes!
- Persimmon Sorbet. Persimmons offer a soft, almost creamy texture, making them perfect for sorbet. See our how-to video!
5 Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Breakfasts
- Smoothie. Offer a Power Gold Smoothie that not only tastes wonderful, but is full of color and nutrition.
- Fruit Pizza. Toast an English muffin and top with low-fat cream cheese and all of your favorite fruits! Create your own combination or try our Symphony of Fruit Pizza.
- Breakfast Wrap. Combine scrambled eggs on a whole-grain tortilla with a slice of reduced-fat cheese and sliced avocado and tomato.
- Homemade Fruit Spread. Purée your favorite fruits for a sweet spread full of antioxidants. Top whole wheat toast or biscuits for an easy breakfast!
- Fruity Peanut Butter Dip. Add more nutrition to your daily bagel, toast, or scone by spreading with a vitamin C-filled spread that is packed with protein to keep your stomach satisfied until your mid-morning snack! Recipe: Fruity Peanut Butter Dip
|Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Your Meals|
|5 Healthy Dishes Kids Will Love|
Video Center: Fruit & Veggie Selection, Storage, Preparation
Ask The Expert about Fruits & Vegetables
Cooking with Your Kids
Fresh, Frozen, Canned, Dried and 100% Juice: It All Matters
Fruit & Vegetable Nutrition Database