Low-Fat & Low-Calorie Dishes – Fall 2016
5 Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Entrées & Side Dishes
- Apple-Beet Salad. A Nutrient rich salad that uses canned beets for ease. Recipe: Apple-Beet Salad.
- Sweet Potatoes. High in fiber and flavor. This versatile veggie will bring color and nutrition to the table. Recipe: Maple Sweet Potatoes, Sweet Potato-Pear Soup, and Splendidly Roasted Yams.
- Cabbage Roll Casserole. A quick dinner for last minute company or a hearty weak night dinner. Recipe: Cabbage Roll Casserole.
- Chili. Nothing warms up the body better than a bowl of yummy chili on a cool fall day. Invite over a few friends; a pot of chili can feed a crowd. Try Apple Corn Chili or Veggie Chili.
- Caramelized Mushroom & Vidalia Onion Risotto. The meatiness of the mushrooms and the richness of the onions will make this dish a new party favorite. Recipe: Caramelized Mushroom & Vidalia Onion Risotto.
5 Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Desserts
- Canned & Frozen Fruit. With fall, the fresh fruits of summer disappear. Used canned and frozen fruits to create amazing desserts. Try Sweet Blueberry Quesadillas, Berry Good Milkshakes, and Apricot Yogurt Parfaits.
- Pears w/Orange Drizzle. Guests will love how light this dessert is and you will love how easy it is! Recipe: Pears w/Orange Drizzle.
- Frozen Smoothie. Not everyone wants to drink dessert. Try freezing yummy smoothies in small glasses or bowls and serve with frozen whipped topping for an easy, nutritious dessert. Enjoy frozen Cran-licious Smoothie or Frosty Orangeliciousness.
- Apple Pistachio Crisp. Fruit based desserts will fill your guests up and satisfy even the sweetest tooth. Recipe: Apple Pistachio Crisp.
- Rhubarb Crisp. Fall is the perfect time of year for warm fruit crisps. Dish up a scoop of frozen yogurt or low-fat ice cream to top it off. Recipe: Rhubarb Crisp.
- Grab & Go Breakfast. Need a quick breakfast for your guests. Try Banana Dog, Brown Bag Fruit Mix, and Bookworm Apple Bark for a filling breakfast.
- Oatmeal. An easy, warm breakfast for cool fall days. Recipe: Banana Split Oatmeal, and Fruity Homemade Oatmeal.
- Perfectly Peachy Waffles. Classic waffles with a fruity twist and not all the work. A delicious morning treat for your guests. Recipe: Perfectly Peachy Waffles.
- Quiche. Impress your guests with veggie filled quiches for breakfast. They sound hard, but are very simple. Try Herbed Spinach Quiche Portobello Caps and dress the table with whole grain muffins and fresh juice for breakfast or brunch.
- Sweet Potato Pancakes. Start everyone’s morning out with a hearty breakfast that will satisfy even the biggest appetite. Serve with turkey sausage or eggs to round out the meal. Recipe: Sweet Potato Pancakes.
|Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Your Meals|
|5 Healthy Dishes Kids Will Love|
Video Center: Fruit & Veggie Selection, Storage, Preparation
Ask The Expert about Fruits & Vegetables
Cooking with Your Kids
Fresh, Frozen, Canned, Dried and 100% Juice: It All Matters
Fruit & Vegetable Nutrition Database