Low-Fat & Low-Calorie Dishes – Summer
5 Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Entrées & Side Dishes
- Grilled Lamb Salad. Serve this lamb salad at your next luncheon party or family dinner. It’s a light and flavorful dish that’s ready in just 30 minutes (once the lamb has marinated)! Recipe: Grilled Lamb Salad
- Green Peas & Ham. This recipe is a great way to use leftover lunchmeat or roasted ham. It’s also a great dish to take along on a picnic! Recipe: Green peas, Potatoes & Ham
- Asparagus, Shrimp & Quinoa. Never tried quinoa? This salad is the perfect introduction to this grain-like seed that is high in both protein and fiber. Recipe: Grilled California Asparagus and Shrimp Quinoa Salad w/Lemon Vinaigrette
- Jicama Slaw. This crunchy slaw is zesty and versatile. Try it on top of a burger, fish tacos or pork chops! Recipe: Jicama Slaw
- Artichoke Ceviche. This vegetarian-friendly ceviche is a wonderful appetizer to serve at your next party. It can also be served on crackers or toasted bread rounds. Recipe: Artichoke Ceviche in Belgian Endive
5 Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Desserts
- Apple Treat. Slice an apple and sauté in 2 teaspoons of margarine over medium heat for 6 minutes. Remove from heat and add ½ a teaspoon of cinnamon. Stir the apple mixture and serve over a ½ cup of frozen low-fat yogurt. Enjoy!
- Rhubarb Crisp. Try serving this crisp with a scoop of low-fat vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt! Recipe: Rhubarb Crisp
- Fruity Sauce. Ice cream is always a family favorite. Try puréeing your favorite fruits such as pears, peaches, and berries then top over low-fat frozen yogurt. Recipe: Pear Sauce
- Chocolate Mint. In two separate bowls, melt dark chocolate and white chocolate chips. Add 1-2 drops of peppermint extract and stir. Serve with bowls of strawberries, mixed berries, melon or any of your favorite fruits. Have toothpicks on hand so your guests can dig right in!
- Fruit Pies. Get your kids to help with these simple fruit sensations. No need to make pie crust! Recipe: Pocket Fruit Pies
5 Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Beverages
- Strawberry Shake. A delicious and nutritious snack perfect for the family on the go! Recipe: After-School Strawberry Shake
- Smoothie. Whip this smoothie up for a quick breakfast or tasty snack! Recipe: Berry Banana Smoothie
- Mocktail. Pour this refreshing beverage for guests at your next party. Garnish the glasses with a lemon or orange wedge. Recipe: Orange Cooler
- Punch. Combine a variety of 100% juices with a diet soda (such as Fresca) and frozen fruit instead of ice.
- On the Go. In need of a quick and easy breakfast or snack? Try our California Strawberry and Cling Peach Frost.
|Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Your Meals|
|5 Healthy Dishes Kids Will Love|
Video Center: Fruit & Veggie Selection, Storage, Preparation
Ask The Expert about Fruits & Vegetables
Cooking with Your Kids
Fresh, Frozen, Canned, Dried and 100% Juice: It All Matters
Fruit & Vegetable Nutrition Database