Low-Fat & Low-Calorie Dishes for Entertaining
5 Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Entrées & Side Dishes
- Roasted Parsnips. Roasting any vegetable concentrates the flavors and brings out their natural sweetness. Try using vegetables that are in season for fall, such as those used in our Honey Roasted Parsnips.
- Squash & Kale Risotto. This risotto is so easy and delicious your family won’t believe it took just 30 minutes to prepare! Recipe: Winter Squash & Kale Risotto w/Pine Nuts
- Brussels Sprouts with Mushroom Sauce. This is a wonderful side dish for a holiday meal or any time of year. The bright and earthy notes that the mushroom sauce adds highlight only the best flavors in the Brussels sprouts. Recipe: Brussels Sprouts with Mushroom Sauce
- Festive Fettuccine. Pasta is a wonderful way to enjoy a delicious and healthy holiday meal because you can customize it to your taste. This dish will please everyone at your table! Recipe: Spinach Fettuccine
- Pomegranate. Pomegranate can be used in a variety of ways, from savory to sweet. Try it in our beautifully balanced Greens with Pomegranate.
6 Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Desserts
- Apple Treat. Slice an apple and sauté in 2 teaspoons of margarine over medium heat for 6 minutes. Remove from heat and add ½ a teaspoon of cinnamon. Stir the apple mixture and serve over a ½ cup of frozen low-fat yogurt. Enjoy!
- Winter Fruit Salad. Just about any fruit will work in this quick and easy dish. It’s guaranteed to satisfy the strongest of sweet tooths! Recipe: Winter Fruit Salad
- Fruity Sauce. Ice cream is always a family favorite. Try puréeing your favorite fruits such as pears, peaches, and berries then top over low-fat frozen yogurt. Recipe: Pear Sauce
- Chocolate Mint. In two separate bowls, melt dark chocolate and white chocolate chips. Add 1-2 drops of peppermint extract and stir. Serve with bowls of strawberries, mixed berries, melon or any of your favorite fruits. Have toothpicks on hand so your guests can dig right in!
- Fruit Pies. Get your kids to help with these simple fruit sensations. No need to make pie crust! Recipe: Pocket Fruit Pies
- Dark Chocolate Covered … Whatever! Dip peaches, strawberries and bananas in a small amount (only ¼ of the fruit) of melted dark chocolate. Refrigerate and serve.
5 Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Beverages
- Strawberry Shake. A delicious and nutritious snack perfect for the family on the go! Recipe: After-School Strawberry Shake
- Cranberry Smoothie. It’s quick and easy to whip up a smoothie that will please your entire family. Check out our 3-ingredient Cran-licious Smoothie.
- Try a New Nog! Need to serve a crowd? No problem. Prepare our Pear Nog in multiple batches and serve in a large punch bowl. If available, have a shaker filled with cinnamon next to the bowl so your guests can garnish their beverage.
- Punch. Combine a variety of 100% juices with a diet soda (such as Fresca) and frozen fruit instead of ice.
- On the Go. In need of a quick and easy breakfast or snack? Try our California Strawberry and Cling Peach Frost.
|Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Your Meals|
|5 Healthy Dishes Kids Will Love|
Video Center: Fruit & Veggie Selection, Storage, Preparation
Ask The Expert about Fruits & Vegetables
Cooking with Your Kids
Fresh, Frozen, Canned, Dried and 100% Juice: It All Matters
Fruit & Vegetable Nutrition Database