20-Minute Chicken Creole
By 30 Minutes or Less
This quick southern dish contains no added fat and very little added salt!
Non-stick cooking spray as needed
4 medium Chicken breast halves, skinned, boned, and cut into 1-inch strips
1 can (14 oz) tomatoes, cut up
1 cup Chili sauce, low sodium
1 1/2 cups Green peppers, chopped
1 1/2 cups Celery, chopped
1/4 cup Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Basil, fresh (or 1 tsp dried)
1 Tbsp Parsley, fresh (or 1 tsp dried)
1/4 tsp Crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp Salt
- Spray a deep skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat pan over high heat.
- Cook chicken in hot skillet for 3-5 minutes, or until no longer pink. Reduce heat.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, crushed red pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice or whole wheat pasta.
- Calories: 274
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Total Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- % of Calories from Fat: 16%
- Sodium: 383 mg
- Protein: 30g
- Recipe Credit
Courtesy of the Department of Health and Human Services