Sweet Potato Pancakes w/Balsamic Maple Mushrooms
By Fruits & Veggies - More Matters
This healthful version of pancakes features the delicious goodness of mashed sweet potatoes and whole grains, artfully balanced with sweet savory sautéed mushrooms infused with maple syrup and balsamic vinegar. This dish is perfect for dinner or brunch.
Category: Main Dishes
Cups of Fruits & Vegetables per Serving: 1.75
Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes or yams (orange flesh)
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Cooking spray, as needed
Balsamic Maple Mushrooms
- 1 lb cremini and/or white button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Microwave sweet potatoes until soft; let cool.
- Peel and mash potatoes, using an electric mixer.
- Add milk, egg, and vegetable oil to potatoes; mix.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to potato mixture.
- Mix on low until just blended.
- Heat non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat; coat skillet with cooking spray.
- Use ¼ cup of batter per pancake, ladling into hot skillet.
- Wait until pancake bubbles and looks slightly dry on top before flipping over. While pancakes are cooking, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in another skillet (do not use non-stick) over medium flame.
- Add quartered mushrooms and toss to coat with oil.
- Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until juices run.
- Add maple syrup and balsamic vinegar to pan.
- Let simmer until sauce reduces and thickens.
- To serve, stack 2-3 pancakes, alternating with balsamic maple mushrooms.
- Calories: 420
- Carbohydrates: 70g
- Total Fat: 12g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- % of Calories from Fat: 26%
- Sodium: 480 mg
- Protein: 12g
- Recipe Credit
Recipe courtesy of Mushroom Council & Sweet Potato Council.
Make a Comment:
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- 0 new comments
Showing 0 comments