Potato Corn Chowder Soup
Cups of Fruits & Vegetables per Serving:
- 2 1/2 cups stock or reduced-sodium broth
- 1 1/4 lbs. white potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free half and half or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme or Italian seasoning
- Sea salt or garlic salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn (thawed)
- 3/4 cup diced ham
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Chop vegetables while broth is heating, then add to saucepan.
- Return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Let cool slightly, then puree until smooth, or until soup is desired consistency.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in corn and ham. Simmer for 20 minutes, then press potatoes against the side of the pan with the back of a wooden spoon to break up and thicken soup. Add shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Calories: 340
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Total Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- % of Calories from Fat: %
- Sodium: 520 mg
- Protein: 21g
- Recipe Credit
Recipe courtesy of U.S. Potato Board