By 30 Minutes or Less
Similar to the Spanish empanada, this empana"pita" uses pita bread for the shell!
2 cups black beans, low-sodium, drained and rinsed
2 cups frozen broccoli, corn, pepper and other vegetables mixture, thawed
2 cups chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, grilled, diced
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, low-moisture, part-skim, shredded
1 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
2 Tbsp scallions, chopped
2- 6 inch pitas, whole wheat
- Preheat oven 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine beans, vegetables, chicken, cheese and seasonings in large bowl. Mix well.
- Cut pitas in half and open the pockets. Divide filling evenly between the four halves.
- Place pitas on a nonstick baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes until the filling is hot, cheese melts and chicken is reheated.
- Calories: 390
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Total Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- % of Calories from Fat: 16%
- Sodium: 560 mg
- Protein: 39g
- Recipe Credit
Recipe courtesy of Keep the Beat™, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
- Comments (0)