Tortilla Soup with Black Beans
By Fruits & Veggies - More Matters
This soup is a low sodium alternative to old time favorite.
2 Tbsp Canola oil, divided
1 1/2 cups Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Ground cumin
1 can (32 oz) Chicken broth, low sodium
1 can ( 15 oz) Tomato sauce
1 can (15 oz) Black beans, reduced sodium
1 cup Corn, frozen kernels, thawed
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
1 Tbsp Cold water
8-10 Corn Tortilla chips, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- Pre-heat the over 400
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven on medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently until golden. Stir in garlic and cumin and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, beans, corn, and stir and combine. Raise the heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together cornstarch and cold water in a small bowel. Bring the soup back up to a boil and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Stir until the mixture thickens (about 2 minutes).
- Place corn tortilla strips in a large mixing bowl and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil until well coated. Place on baking sheet and cook until golden and crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into individual bowels and top with tortilla strips. Serve.
- Total Fat:4.5g
- Saturated Fat:0g
- Dietary Fiber:5g
- % of Calories from Fat:27%
- Recipe Credit
- Courtesy of BUSH's Beans
- 3 new comments