Broccoli & Cheese, Please!
By 30 Minutes or Less
So good, your children will ask for more! Plus, it's a great side for most chicken and beef dishes.
6 cups fresh broccoli, rinsed and cut into bite-sizes florets
1 cup evaporated milk, fat-free
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, low-fat
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp hot sauce
1 slice whole wheat bread, toasted (for croutons)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over medium-high heat. Add fresh broccoli and cook until easily pierced by a fork (approximately 7-10 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, combine evaporated milk and cornstarch. Slowly bring to a boil while stirring often.
- When the milk comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and add the cheese. Continue to stir until the cheese is melted and evenly mixed.
- Add the sauces and stir.
- Pour cheese over hot broccoli.
- Sprinkle whole wheat croutons over broccoli and cheese mixture. Serve.
- Calories: 130
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Total Fat: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- % of Calories from Fat: 10%
- Sodium: 240 mg
- Protein: 12g
- Recipe Credit
Recipe courtesy of Keep the Beat™, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
- Comments (0)