Broccoli Mandarin Orange Salad
By Fruits & Veggies - More Matters
Colorful and full of crunch, this salad will please even the non-veggie people!
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 2 Tbsp. almonds
- 2 - 11 oz. cans of mandarin orange sections, well drained
- 1 orange, grated peel and juice
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper, optional*
Steam broccoli flowerets in covered saucepan for 3 minutes only. Remove quickly and rinse with cold running water until broccoli is no longer warm. Do not cook further. Place in serving bowl and chill, covered. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, combine almonds, drained mandarin oranges, grated peel and juice from orange, green onions, and remaining ingredients except for salt and pepper. Toss gently and allow to stand at room temperature for about 15 to 30 minutes. When ready to serve, pour marinated orange mixture on chilled broccoli and toss very gently. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired, and serve.*
Chef's Notes: Vividly green vegetables such as green beans, cucumbers, broccoli, and zucchini will slowly turn a drab yellow-green color when in the presence of acids for a moderate period. To keep this salad bright in color, the orange-flavored salad dressing is added just before serving.
*Optional ingredients are not included in dietary analysis.
Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamins A and C, and a good source of folate and fiber.
- Total Fat:3.4g
- Saturated Fat:0.4g
- Dietary Fiber:3g
- % of Calories from Fat:33%
- Recipe Credit
- Recipe was developed for Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH) by Chef Carmen I. Jones, CCP. This recipe meets PBH and Centers for disease Control & Prevention (CDC) nutrition standards that maintain fruits and vegetables as healthy foods.
- 3 new comments