Creamy Squash Soup w/Shredded Apples
By 30 Minutes or Less
This hearty soup will warm you up in the cold winter months!
2 cups butternut squash, pureed
2 medium apples
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 cans (12 oz each) evaporated milk, fat-free
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
- Cube squash and soften in microwave (approximately 5 to 10 minutes). Once softened, puree in food processor or blender.
- Meanwhile, Peel and shred apples using a grater or food processor. Set aside 1/4 cup.
- Warm oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add all but 1/4 cup apples. Cook and stir until apples soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in squash and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add the evaporated milk about 1/2 cup at a time to the squash mixture, stirring after each addition.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until soup is about to boil.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls. Top each 1 Tbsp of unused apples (from the 1/4 cup that was set aside earlier). Serve.
- Calories: 290
- Carbohydrates: 51g
- Total Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- % of Calories from Fat: 12%
- Sodium: 370 mg
- Protein: 16g
- Recipe Credit
Recipe courtesy of Keep the Beat™, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.