Roasted Butternut Squash and Spinach Salad
By 30 Minutes or Less
This unique salad is perfect for those wonderful autumn goodies that are coming out at the farmer's market.
1 lb butternut squash, peeled and seeded
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp maple syrup
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup cranberries, dried
6 oz spinach leaves
1/2 cup walnut halves
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup (4 oz) 100% apple juice
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp shallots, minced
3 tsp Dijon mustard
1/3 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and cut squash into 1-inch chunks or cubes. Place on a sheet pan and toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30 minutes, stirring once. Add cranberries to the pan for the last 5 minutes of roasting.
- To prepare the vinaigrette, combine apple juice, vinegar, and shallots in saucepan and boil over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes, until the juice has reduced. Remove from stove and add the mustard and 1/3 cup of olive oil.
- Place the spinach in a large bowl and add the roasted squash. Top with walnuts and grated Parmesan cheese. Spoon vinaigrette over the salad to lightly moisten and toss well. Serve.
- Calories: 290
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Total Fat: 21g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- % of Calories from Fat: 65%
- Sodium: 135 mg
- Protein: 4g
- Recipe Credit
- Recipe courtesy of the North Carolina State University Plants for Human Health Institute.
- 3 new comments