Caramelized Mushroom & Vidalia Onion Risotto
By Fruits & Veggies - More Matters
Caramelizing Vidalia onions brings out complex and delicious flavors. Mushrooms add meatiness without significant calories. Add these to risotto made with brown rice - providing whole grains and a nutty flavor - and you have a deliciously healthful spring dish.
Category: Main Dishes
Cups of Fruits & Vegetables per Serving: 2.25
- Heat 1 tbsp canola oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. (Do not use non-stick skillet.)
- Add Vidalia® onions and stir to coat with the oil. Stirring occasionally, let cook until brown (about 30 minutes).
- Remove Vidalia® onions from pan, and set aside.
- Wipe pan clean.
- Heat remaining olive oil in pan and brown mushrooms (about 15 minutes).
- While mushrooms and Vidalia® onions are browning, cook risotto as follows.
- Heat wine and rice in pot, stir until wine is absorbed.
- Mix broth and water together. Increase heat to medium-high; stir in 1 cup of water-broth mixture.
- Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue stirring and add remaining water-broth mixture, 1 cup at a time, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding another.
- Add peas to rice with last cup of liquid.
- Cook until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency, approximately 1 hour.
- Gently stir in caramelized Vidalia® onions, mushrooms, and cheese.
- Let sit about five minutes and serve.
- Calories: 380
- Carbohydrates: 58g
- Total Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- % of Calories from Fat: 24%
- Sodium: 270 mg
- Protein: 12g
- Recipe Credit
Recipe courtesy of Mushroom Council & Vidalia Onion Committee.
Make a Comment:
- 0 new comments
Showing 0 comments