Zucchini with Walnuts
By Fruits & Veggies - More Matters
A tasty and interesting combination of texture and flavor.
- 4 medium zucchini, washed and stems removed
- 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. walnut oil, optional*
- 2 tsp. coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed, or 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 lemon, grated peel and juice
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Cut zucchini in quarters lengthwise and then into ¾-inch chunks. Heat oil(s) in a 10-inch skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Add zucchini and sauté, stirring constantly and gently. When zucchini is almost tender, add walnut pieces and thyme, and continue to cook for about 45 to 60 seconds. Zucchini should still be bright green in color. Season with lemon juice, grated lemon peel, pepper, and salt. Serve hot.
*Chef's Notes: Walnut oil is available in specialty food shops and select grocery stores. It will turn rancid quickly, so please store between uses in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
*Optional ingredients are not included in dietary analysis.
Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamin C and fiber, and a good source of folate and potassium.
- Calories: 59
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Total Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Saturated Fat: 0.4g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- % of Calories from Fat: 32%
- Sodium: 311 mg
- Protein: 3g
- Recipe Credit
- Recipe was developed for Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH) by Chef Carmen I. Jones, CCP. This recipe meets PBH and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) nutrition standards that maintain fruits and vegetables as healthy foods.
- 3 new comments