Barley and Spinach Skillet Dinner
By 30 Minutes or Less
Barley adds texture and fiber to this quick and easy meal!
3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup canned navy beans
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
1 cup quartered cherry or grape tomatoes
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lemon, quartered
- Rinse and drain beans.
- Preheat broiler.
- In large skillet bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add barley, peppers, garlic and pepper flakes. Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer 10 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, stir in spinach, beans, tomatoes, basil and olive oil.
- Transfer to broiler-safe dish. Sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs.
- Broil 2 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with lemon wedge.
- Calories: 261
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Total Fat: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Dietary Fiber: 12g
- % of Calories from Fat: 16%
- Sodium: 323 mg
- Protein: 11g
- Recipe Credit
University of Florida IFAS Extension's Quick and Healthy Recipes Website