Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili
By Fruits & Veggies - More Matters
Chili powder, chipotle pepper and cumin highlight this party in a pot. This nutritious potato-, quinoa- and bean-based chili is filling and oh so satisfying!
Cups of Fruits & Vegetables per Serving: 1 ½ cups
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups stock, low sodium chicken stock
- 1 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, low sodium
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, low sodium
- ½ cup dried quinoa
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- serving suggestions: avocado, cilantro
- Heat a large heavy bottom pot with the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the sweet potato and onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion if softened.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, chipotle, cumin and salt and stir to combine.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, black beans and quinoa and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir everything to combine.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Cooke for 10-15 minutes until the quinoa is fully cooked and the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Add the lime juice and remove the pot from the heat. Season with salt as needed.
- Garnish with avocado, cilantro, crema or cheese before serving.
- Calories: 150
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Total Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- % of Calories from Fat: 35%
- Sodium: 280 mg
- Protein: 6g
- Recipe Credit
Recipe courtesy of Pacific Coast Producers.
- Comments (0)