Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili
Chili powder, chipotle pepper and cumin highlight this party in a pot. This nutritious potato-, quinoa- and bean-based chili is filling and oh so satisfying!
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 large red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
½ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 ½ cups stock
1 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
½ cup dried quinoa
4 teaspoons lime juice
- Heat a large heavy bottom pot with the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the sweet potato and onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion if softened.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, chipotle, cumin and salt and stir to combine.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, black beans and quinoa and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir everything to combine.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until the quinoa is fully cooked and the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Add the lime juice and remove the pot from the heat. Season with salt as needed.
- Garnish with avocado, cilantro, crema or cheese before serving.
- Carbohydrates: g
- Total Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Saturated Fat: g
- Dietary Fiber: g
- % of Calories from Fat: %
- Sodium: mg
- Protein: g
- Recipe Credit
Pacific Coast Producers