Grilled Eggplant & Tomato Sandwiches
By Fruits & Veggies - More Matters
A meatless sandwich that is immensely satisfying.
- 1 medium italian eggplant cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 Tbsp. finely minced fresh basil
- 8 (1/2 inch) slices, crusty bread
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese (optional)
Do not peel eggplant. Remove end and cut into half-inch slices. Sprinkle both sides with salt and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Thoroughly rinse slices to remove all salt and drain on absorbent paper.
Combine olive oil and garlic and lightly brush each slice. Grill over MEDIUM HIGH heat on gas grill or broil under broiler. When soft, remove immediately and sprinkle with basil.
Meanwhile, slice tomatoes into ¨÷ -inch thick slices and season with black pepper. Arrange tomatoes and eggplant on 4 slices of bread. Season with pepper and add crumbled Feta cheese, if desired. Top with second slice of bread and serve immediately.
*Optional ingredients are not included in dietary analysis.
Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamins A and C, folate, potassium and fiber, and a good source of magnesium.
- Total Fat:7.9g
- Saturated Fat:1.4g
- Dietary Fiber:8g
- % of Calories from Fat:25%
- Recipe Credit
- This recipe meets PBH and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) nutrition standards that maintain fruits and vegetables as healthy foods.
- 3 new comments