Beans and Greens Soup
By Fruits & Veggies - More Matters
A hearty bean soup flavored with healthy chopped greens and diced tomato.
- 1 lb. pinto beans, sorted, washed and soaked in water for 12 hours or overnight
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin seed
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke flavoring
- 4 cups finely chopped frozen kale, collards, or mustard greens, cooked
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups diced fresh tomato
- 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt
Drain soaked beans and place in a heavy, deep non-aluminum pan. Add garlic, onion, cumin seed, red pepper flakes and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to boil and lower to simmer and cook, covered, about 1-1½ hours. Add more water as needed. Stir often and cook until beans are tender.
Using about half of the bean mixture, carefully puree in blender. Return to pot with other beans. Add cilantro and smoke flavoring. Continue to cook for 10-15 minutes, covered. If necessary, add water or low-sodium chicken broth to thin soup. Cook greens as directed on package.
Toss greens with olive oil and stir into soup with salt and vinegar to taste. To serve, season with ground pepper. Spoon hot soup into bowls and top with ½ cup chopped tomatoes and a tablespoon of yogurt.
Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamins A and C, folate, magnesium, potassium and fiber, and a good source of calcium.
- Total Fat:4.9g
- Saturated Fat:0.8g
- Dietary Fiber:11g
- % of Calories from Fat:16%
- Recipe Credit
- Recipe courtesy of Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH). This recipe meets PBH and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) nutrition standards that maintain fruits and vegetables as healthy foods.
- 3 new comments