Lime Marinated Onion Salad
By Fruits & Veggies - More Matters
A delicious and exciting salad to serve with Southwestern foods.
- 1 1/2 lbs. large onions
- 2 Tbsp. grated lime peel
- 8-9 limes, to yield 3/4 cup lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup packed, chopped cilantro leaves
- salt (optional)
Peel onions, cut in half and slice thin. Place in large non-metal bowl. Grate peel from limes and juice. Mix peel, juice, garlic, oil, and pepper and add to onion slices. Mix well, cover and place in refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes **. When ready to serve, toss again, adding chopped cilantro and salt, if desired. Serve chilled.
*Optional ingredients are not included in dietary analysis.
** May be made ahead and chilled up to 24 hours before using.
Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamin C.
- Total Fat:1.9g
- Saturated Fat:0.3g
- Dietary Fiber:1g
- % of Calories from Fat:26%
- Recipe Credit
- Recipe courtesy of Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH). This recipe meets PBH and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) nutrition standards that maintain fruits and vegetables as healthy foods.
- 3 new comments