Vegetable Pasta w/ Tomatoes
By Fruits & Veggies - More Matters
Satisfying and robust in flavor, this vegetable-filled, all-in-one dinner needs only crusty bread and a beverage to complete the menu.
- medium zucchini, washed and ends removed
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. dried leaf basil, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 cups prepared no-fat pasta sauce
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 8 oz. dried pasta, shape of choice
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley or basil
- grated Parmesan cheese, optional*
Cut zucchini in quarters lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Place zucchini, onion, garlic, and olive oil with seasonings in large, deep skillet and sautee; over MEDIUM heat until soft. Stir often. Add prepared sauce, mix well, and let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped tomato and allow to heat thoroughly.
In a separate pot, cook pasta as directed on package. Drain well and place in large serving bowl. Add sauce and mix gently. Top with the reserved 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes and chopped herbs. Serve hot.
*Optional ingredients are not included in dietary analysis
Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, folate and fiber, and a good source of calcium, magnesium and potassium.
- Calories: 340
- Carbohydrates: 60g
- Total Fat: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Saturated Fat: 0.7g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- % of Calories from Fat: 17%
- Sodium: 371 mg
- Protein: 12g
- Recipe Credit
Recipe was developed for Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH) by Chef Carmen I. Jones, CCP. This recipe meets PBH and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) nutrition standards that maintain fruits and vegetables as healthy foods.
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- 0 new comments