Tomato Basil Open-Faced Sandwich
By Fruits & Veggies - More Matters
Crusty bread smothered in fresh basil and red-ripe tomatoes.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. finely minced fresh basil
- 8 3/4-inch slices, crusty hearth style bread
- 16-24 fresh basil leaves, enough to cover bread slices
- 4 medium red ripe tomatoes, stem end removed
- Salt (optional)
- Fresh ground black pepper
Gently heat oil and garlic in small skillet over MEDIUM heat. Add minced basil and stir well. Remove from heat, allow to cool. Lightly toast slices of bread and brush lightly with flavored, cooled oil. Place oil-side up and layer with fresh basil leaves, about 2 or 3 per toast. Slice tomatoes and arrange slices over basil leaves. Sprinkle with optional salt and a grinding of fresh black pepper. Serve immediately.
*Optional ingredients are not included in dietary analysis.
Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C and calcium, and a good source of potassium and fiber.
- Calories: 182
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Total Fat: 6.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- % of Calories from Fat: 33%
- Sodium: 241 mg
- Protein: 5g
- Recipe Credit
- Recipe courtesy of Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH). This recipe meets PBH and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) nutrition standards that maintain fruits and vegetables as healthy foods.
- 3 new comments