Southwestern Pork Stew
By Recipes from Moms Like You
Try this hearty stew recipe!
Cups of Fruits & Vegetables per Serving:
Ingredients1 3/4 lbs pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup (1 large) red onion, chopped
1 1/4 lbs sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 16-oz. package frozen whole corn kernels, thawed
1 10-oz. can chopped tomatoes with green chile peppers
1 4-oz. can diced green chile peppers, drained
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
black pepper, freshly ground (optional)
Directions1. In a medium bowl, toss the pork with the flour until coated, shaking off the excess. Coat a large pot with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
2. Add the pork and cook, in batches, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until browned on all sides and no longer pink.
3. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the sweet potatoes, corn, tomatoes, green chile peppers, chicken broth, chili powder, and cumin.
4. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the potatoes and pork are tender. If stew gets too thick, stir in a little chicken broth or water.
5. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Carbohydrates: g
- Total Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Saturated Fat: g
- Dietary Fiber: g
- % of Calories from Fat: %
- Sodium: mg
- Protein: g
- Recipe Credit