Carrots with Tomatoes & Macaroni
By 30 Minutes or Less
Try adding a variety of vegetables to this delicious side dish!
Cups of Fruits & Vegetables per Serving: 1 3/4
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes (from a can), chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato juice, low-sodium
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsely (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 cup whole wheat elbow macaroni, cooked
- In a saucepan, cook the onion in the oil until soft but not brown. Add the tomatoes, carrots, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove the cover and cook over low heat for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the parsley. Mix the margarine with the cooked macaroni. Stir in the carrot mixture and serve.
- Calories: 170
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Total Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- % of Calories from Fat: 26%
- Sodium: 240 mg
- Protein: 4g
- Recipe Credit
University of Rhode Island Cooperative Extension's Expanded Food and Nutrition Program
- Comments (0)