Pear Pairings from New England!
Happy Fruit and Veggies—More Matters Month! It’s time to celebrate the abundance of delicious fall produce that the season has to offer. This month, try one new fruit and veggie each week – you’re bound to discover a new favorite. In New England, one of the harvest superstars is the pear. One medium sized pear offers an excellent source of fiber, good source of vitamin C and is the perfect sweet and juicy portable snack. Pears are also a versatile fruit and pair perfectly with many sweet or savory dishes.
Try these simple pear pairing ideas:
- Breakfast: Oatmeal with diced pears and pecans.
- Lunchtime Treat: Sliced pears dipped in honey.
- Light Lunch or Appetizer: Pear, shaved parmesan and arugula salad drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- Cocktail Party Hors d’oeurves: Sliced pears with sharp cheddar.
- Cocktail: Pear Bellini – champagne and pear puree garnished with a sliced pear. Or try a nonalcoholic version with sparkling water
- Main Course: Mixed salad greens topped with sliced pork tenderloin, sliced pears, chopped walnuts and blue cheese. Top with balsamic vinaigrette.
- Dessert: Sautéed pears with cinnamon. Serve warm with light vanilla ice cream. Garnish with cinnamon sticks.
Celebrate Fruit and Veggie—More Matters with the fall harvest!
Jennifer Shea MS, MPH, RD