This is one of our own Fruits & Veggies—More Matters® recipes. It meets the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s strict nutrition guidelines as a healthy recipe.
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables per Serving: ½
2 cups (8 oz) whole wheat rotini (spiral) pasta
1 cup fresh snow peapods, sliced thinly on an angle (julienned)
½ cup cucumber, peeled and diced
¼ cup carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
½ cup plain yogurt, fat-free
1 Tbsp fresh chives, rinsed and chopped
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, rinsed and chopped
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta an cook until tender (about 8 minutes). Drain, cool, and set aside.
- In the meantime, place peapods in a microwave dish, add enough water to keep moist, and microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until warm.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients together in separate bowl and toss gently.
- Add cooked pasta and peapods and toss to coat the pasta.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for later use.
Credit: Recipe courtesy of Keep the Beat™, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
|Nutritional Information per Serving|
|Calories: 230||Carbohydrates: 51g|
|Total Fat: 0g||Cholesterol: 0mg|
|Saturated Fat: 0g||Dietary Fiber: 6g|
|% of Calories from Fat: 0%||Sodium: 180mg|