This is one of our own Fruits & Veggies—More Matters® recipes. It meets the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s strict nutrition guidelines as a healthy recipe.
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables per Serving: ¾
1 ½ cups berries (raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries)
5 slices whole wheat bread
- Combine cleaned and dried berries.
- Layer a spoonful of berries on the bottom of a small 2-cup deep dish.
- Cover the berries and the bottom of the dish with a layer of bread.
- Spoon in most of the berries. Add another layer or bread and continue until the dish is full.
- Finish off with a layer of bread.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and place a plate or bowl over the top of the berry dish that fits just inside of it.
- Place a heavy object on the top to press down on the fruit and bread layers.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes and serve.
Credit: Recipe adapted from the University of Connecticut Family Nutrition Project.
|Nutritional Information per Serving|
|Calories: 190||Carbohydrates: 35g|
|Total Fat: 2.5g||Cholesterol: 0mg|
|Saturated Fat: 0g||Dietary Fiber: 8g|
|% of Calories from Fat: 8%||Sodium: 270mg|