This is one of our own Fruits & Veggies—More Matters® recipes. It meets the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s strict nutrition guidelines as a healthy recipe.
Category: Main Dishes
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables per Serving: ½
- 4 cups firmly packed baby spinach leaves, stems removed and washed or 1 - 10 oz. package frozen, chopped spinach
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed or fresh equivalent
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper, optional*
- 4 grilled or roasted chicken breasts, shredded or chopped (about 4 cups chopped)
- 2 lemons, to yield 2 Tbsp. grated lemon peel and 4 lemon wedges for garnish
Prepare spinach and place in a large skillet over MEDIUM heat and cook, covered, until fresh is wilted or frozen is heated through. Spinach should have a dark, rich green color. Do not overcook, or the spinach will change color. Remove spinach and drain well. In same skillet, heat thyme with oil, garlic, and onion and sauté until onion is transparent. Stir in flour until it disappears. Add broth and stir continuously until a thickened sauce is formed. Return chopped spinach to sauce and mix well. Heat and adjust seasonings, if desired. Stir half the chicken into sauce. To serve, spoon equal amounts in four small casseroles. Top each with equal portions of remaining chicken and ½ tablespoon grated lemon peel. Place in preheated 300º F oven for 10 minutes. Serve piping hot with a lemon wedge.
*Optional ingredients are not included in dietary analysis.
Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamins A, C and folate, and a good source of calcium, magnesium, potassium and fiber.
Credit: Recipe was developed for Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH) by Chef Carmen I. Jones, CCP. This recipe meets PBH and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) nutrition standards that maintain fruits and vegetables as healthy foods.
|Nutritional Information per Serving|
|Calories: 221||Carbohydrates: 9g|
|Total Fat: 7.1g||Cholesterol: 74mg|
|Saturated Fat: 1.6g||Dietary Fiber: 3g|
|% of Calories from Fat: 29%||Sodium: 268mg|