Insider’s Viewpoint: Smoothie Bowl Craze!
If you are on Instagram you have probably seen the all new smoothie craze, Smoothie Bowls! These bowls can pack a powerful punch of nutrients to start your day. Fruits and veggies steal the show by adding antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. These visually appealing treats are fun and tasty. It’s super easy to create your own at home!
How To Create a Smoothie Bowl: 10 Steps
- Equipment Needed: Blender, Bowls, Spoon.
- Blender Ingredients: Use less liquid than a traditional smoothie, add thickening ingredients, and make sure you have a good protein source and a healthy fat source. (You need fat in your diet to absorb all the great nutrients from fruits and veggies.)
- Liquid: 100% fruit juice or vegetable juice, milk, soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk.
- Fruits and/or Vegetables: Frozen banana, strawberries, mango, pineapple, peaches, wild blueberries, raspberries, baby spinach, kale, cucumber, pumpkin puree, roasted beets.
- Good Fats: Peanut butter, nut butters, avocado, whole milk or 2% fat yogurt.
- Thickeners: Chia seeds, Greek yogurt, banana.
- Protein: Milk, yogurt, nuts, peanut butter, nut butters, cottage cheese, protein powder.
- Topping Ingredients: Whole grain cereal, nuts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut, coconut chips, fresh fruit, dried fruit, crumbled graham crackers.
- Combine blender ingredients until smooth and then decorate with your favorite toppers.
Mixed Berry Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup skim milk
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup frozen raspberries
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- 1 ripe banana
- Vanilla Almond Granola
- Shredded Coconut
- Fresh Blueberries
- Fresh Strawberries
- Fresh Mango
- Combine the ingredients for the smoothie base in a high-powered blender and blend for 2 minutes until smooth and thick.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and top with as much granola as your heart desires and the various fresh fruit.
- Serve immediately.
Alyson Fendrick RD LD CPT