Soup for Supper!
Many people think their fruit and veggie servings have to be fresh, but vegetables are canned within hours of being picked and nutrients are well preserved away from air or light. You can be assured that canned veggies provide significant nutrients that are close at hand and ready to eat.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 T. Olive Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 t. chili powder
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano, undrained
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15.25 oz.) can no-added-salt whole kernel corn, drained
- ¾ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (about 2-1/2 cups)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Toppings: fresh lime wedges, sliced avocado, low fat sour cream
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin; cook and stir 1 minute. Add undrained tomatoes, plus broth, black beans and corn; bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add chicken; cook and stir until heated through.
- Ladle soup in individual serving bowls, and top with cilantro. Serve with whole grain tortilla chips, lime wedges, avocado and lowfat sour cream.
Nutrition information per serving: 335 calories, 46g carbohydrate, 30g protein, 11g fiber, 6g fat, 1g saturated fat, 48mg cholesterol, 650mg sodium