Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Your Meals: Holidays 2015
5 Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Entrées
- Mozzarella Basil Chicken w/Roasted Grape Tomatoes. Tired of turkey every year? Try making these individual chicken breasts that are easy, delicious and satisfying. Recipe: Mozzarella Basil Chicken w/Roasted Grape Tomatoes
- Turkey & Cranberry Stew. Make this yummy stew as the main course for a non-traditional holiday dinner or serve it up a few days later to use up leftover turkey. Recipe: Turkey & Cranberry Stew
- Casseroles. The easiest way to serve up a holiday dinner when you are feeding a crowd is to have casseroles. Having options at the table also provides people with dietary restrictions more choices. Try the flavors of fall in Cabbage Roll Casserole, Fall Veggie Casserole, and Collards & Black Eyed Peas Casserole.
- Spinach Fettuccine w/Sun-Dried Tomatoes. Please guests of all ages with pasta. Serve this up as a vegetarian entrée option or as a delicious side dish. Have too much food already? Make it for dinner the day after your holiday dinner for a guiltless meal. Recipe: Spinach Fettuccine w/Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Salsa. Create fruity or veggie rich salsas to serve on meat or casseroles. Try Pineapple Salsa on ham, Spicy Mango Current Salsa on turkey, or Chunky Fresh Tomato Salsa on Black Beans & Rice.
- Trifle. A show-stopping dessert without a lot of effort. Layer pieces of angel food cake or sponge cake with sliced fruit and light whipped topping, alternating as you go.
- Fruit Salad. Serve cut-up fruit as a side dish or a dessert. If dinner is heavy, guests may enjoy fresh fruit for dessert. Recipe: Healthy Fruit Salad
- Gingered Sweet Potato-Apple Salad. Swap out classic mashed potatoes for a light salad this holiday season that will give your guests a nutritional boost. Recipe: Gingered Sweet Potato-Apple Salad
- Frittatas. Add elegance to the table with a beautiful frittata or serve one up for breakfast the next day. Frittatas are surprisingly easy to make and your guests will think you spent hours on it. Try making Broccoli Frittata or Vegetable Frittata.
- Sweet Cherry Couscous Salad. Bring a little Mediterranean flare to the table. This delicious salad will have everyone begging for the recipe. For fall, buy frozen cherries and defrost. Recipe: Sweet Cherry & Couscous Salad
|Low-Fat & Low-Calorie Dishes & Desserts|
|5 Healthy Dishes Kids Will Love|
Video Center: Fruit & Veggie Selection, Storage, Preparation
Ask The Expert about Fruits & Vegetables
Cooking with Your Kids
Fresh, Frozen, Canned, Dried and 100% Juice: It All Matters
Fruit & Vegetable Nutrition Database