Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Your Meals – Summer List 1
June 23, 2011
5 Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Entrées
- Steak Salad. Steak and summer go hand-in-hand. So why not add steak (prepared the way you like it) over a fresh bed of greens? Add crumbled goat cheese, pine nuts, red onion, and low-fat raspberry vinaigrette dressing to complete this steak salad.
- Herb and Lemon Roasted Chicken. Remove the skin from the chicken to cut out more fat in your meal. Use a low-sodium chicken broth and top with lemon and herbs!
- Stuffed Veal. Stuff veal with mushrooms and Swiss chard for extra flavor and satisfaction! Marinade with olive oil, lemon juice, and rosemary!
- Bean Wrap. Enjoy this light entrée with a whole wheat wrap, lettuce, spring fruits and vegetables, and any type of beans. Recipe: Veggie Bean Wrap Around
- Individual Tinfoil Stir-Fry. With the weather getting warmer, wrap lean meat, beans and vegetables, and a small amount of olive oil and seasonings in tinfoil and heat through. Recipe: Grilled Vegetable Packets
5 Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Side Dishes & Desserts
- Coleslaw Makeover. Put a summer twist on your traditional coleslaw by adding one of summer’s favorite squashes—zucchini! Recipe: Zucchini Coleslaw
- Fruit Skewers. Pick the fruit of your choice that will easily stay on the skewer such as cantaloupe, melon, grapes, strawberries, and pineapple. Fruit skewers are easy to grab and a healthier choice! Our Fruit Kabobs w/ Sweet Yogurt Dip is always a hit!
- Sweet Cobbler. Who doesn’t love apple pie? Try adding all of your favorite fruits with low-fat granola (instead of crust) to cut down the calories. Recipe: Kiwifruit Cobbler
- Dark Chocolate Covered … Whatever! Dip peaches, strawberries and bananas in a small amount (only ¼ of the fruit) in melted dark chocolate. Refrigerate and serve.
- Asparagus. Top steamed asparagus (it’s in season) with a sweet, but healthy, combination of lemon juice, mayonnaise, and dried parsley. Recipe: Asparagus w/Lemon Sauce
|Low-Fat & Low-Calorie Dishes & Desserts|
|5 Healthy Dishes Kids Will Love|
Video Center: Fruit & Veggie Selection, Storage, Preparation
Ask The Expert about Fruits & Vegetables
Cooking with Your Kids
Fresh, Frozen, Canned, Dried and 100% Juice: It All Matters
Fruit & Vegetable Nutrition Database