Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Your Meals – Summer
5 Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Entrées
- Sweet & Savory. Top any meat with a flavorful sauce or chutney featuring fruits and vegetables. Savory meats pair particularly well with sweet fruit sauces or chutneys. Recipe: Spicy Apple & Pear Chutney
- Herb & Lemon Roasted Chicken. To cut more fat from your usual lemon chicken, remove the skin. Use a low-sodium chicken broth and top with lemon and herbs!
- Scrumptious Soup. Soup makes a satisfying, no-fuss meal. Pair this Quick Minestrone Soup with a hearty, whole-grain roll and a side salad to make it a complete meal!
- Veggie Bean Wrap. Wraps are a wonderful vessel for an endless list of fruits and veggies. Adding protein provides a balanced bite that will leave you satisfied. Recipe: Veggie Bean Wrap Around
- Frozen Fruits & Veggies. Quick and easy one-pot meals are perfect for entertaining, so toss a couple of extra bags of frozen fruits and vegetables in your grocery cart. Use these extras to load your soups or salads with a variety of colorful veggies like kale, spinach, peppers, squash, zucchini or corn. You can also add frozen fruits and vegetables to ready-to-eat entrées such as soups, pre-made side dishes, or all-in-one meals; this is an easy way to increase texture, color, and nutrition!
5 Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Side Dishes & Desserts
- Artichokes & Leeks. Artichokes take a bit of TLC to prepare, but it is worth it! The presentation of our Roasted Herbed Artichokes w/Leeks is sure to impress … and the flavor will amaze!
- Baked Apples. Remove the cores, leaving ½” of the bottom of the apples. Pour a small amount of brown sugar and butter into the holes. Place the filled apples in an 8”x8” square baking pan. Add ¾ cup water to the pan. Bake at 375°F for 30-40 minutes until tender, not mushy. Add nuts or dried cranberries for an extra treat!
- Sweet & Sour Carrots. This tantalizing side dish brings out all the best that carrots have to offer, and it’s ready in just 25 minutes. Recipe: Sweet and Sour Carrots
- Fruit Pizza. Pizza isn’t just for cheese and pepperoni! Colorful fruits make our Symphony of Fruit Pizza a sweet treat. Kids will jump at the chance to assemble their own pizzas.
- Sweet Cobbler. Who doesn’t love apple cobbler? To cut down the calories, try adding all of your favorite fruits with low-fat granola (instead of crust). Recipe: Kiwifruit Cobbler
|Low-Fat & Low-Calorie Dishes & Desserts|
|5 Healthy Dishes Kids Will Love|
Video Center: Fruit & Veggie Selection, Storage, Preparation
Ask The Expert about Fruits & Vegetables
Cooking with Your Kids
Fresh, Frozen, Canned, Dried and 100% Juice: It All Matters
Fruit & Vegetable Nutrition Database