Why Buy Local?
Here are 3 reasons to buy local this season:
- Local food supports local farm families and builds community. When you buy homegrown produce, you’re re-establishing a time-honored connection between the eater and the grower. Knowing the farmers gives you insight into the seasons, the weather, and the miracle of raising food.
- Local food supports a clean environment and benefits wildlife. A well-managed family farm is a place where the resources of fertile soil and clean water are valued. Good stewards of the land grow cover crops to prevent erosion and replace nutrients used by their crops. In addition, the habitat of a farm is the perfect environment for many beloved species of wildlife, including bluebirds, killdeer, herons, bats, and rabbits.
- Local food is about the future. By supporting local farmers today, you can help ensure that there will be farms in your community tomorrow, and that future generations will have access to the freshest, best-tasting and most nutritious produce.
Try this quick and easy recipe using plentiful local produce!
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a ½ inch shell. Finely chop pulp.
- In a skillet, cook beef, zucchini pulp, onion, mushrooms and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Remove from the heat. Add ½ cup cheese, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Spoon into the zucchini shells. Place in greased 11×8 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
Nutrition Information (per serving): Calories 264, Total Fat 15g, Cholesterol 90mg, Sodium 563mg, Carbohydrate 6g, Fiber 1g, Protein 30g
For a healthy meal serve with: Fat-Free Milk, Instant Brown Rice, Cantaloupe Chunks