You need 8 to 10 cups of water every day?
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
To stay adequately hydrated, you must drink 8 to 10 cups of water per day.
WHAT WE KNOW
Proper hydration is essential for good health, especially now that summer is almost here. For the body to properly function, it is necessary to consume about 2 quarts (8 cups) of liquid per day. While drinking 8 to 10 cups of water every day may seem excessive, the water content in foods or other beverages counts toward your daily fluid intake. Some of your favorite seasonal fruits and vegetables such as strawberries or cucumbers have up to 96 percent water content. Aside from keeping your body hydrated, foods with high water content tend to be low in calories and can increase satiety.
HOW DO WE KNOW THIS?
The Institute of Medicine (IOM) issued new guidelines in 2004 stating that the vast majority of healthy individuals meet their daily hydration needs by using thirst as their guide. Therefore, the Dietary Reference Intakes do not specify exact requirements for water, but set general recommendations for women at approximately 2.7 liters (91 ounces) of total water for all foods and beverages each day and 3.7 liters (125 ounces) for men. According to the Dietary Reference Intakes, national survey data for adults suggest that approximately 20 percent of water intake comes from food, and the remaining 80 percent is from fluids. Remember, physical activity, illness, or heat and humidity may increase our fluid needs. Water is a refreshing, calorie-free choice to satisfy your thirst.
With the hot summer months quickly approaching, it is important for your health to stay well hydrated. Water is the best option to quench thirst and to help you digest your food, and it complements all types of foods. In addition to counting toward your daily fluid intake, consuming juicy fruits and vegetables is also a great way to get extra vitamins and minerals. To get additional information on the water content for more foods, visit the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) website at: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/.