Insider’s Viewpoint: Breakfast Stir-Fry! A Unique Way To Reach Your Fruit & Veggie Goals
The beginning of a new year is a great time to focus on improving your breakfast. We know Americans don’t get enough fruits and vegetables each day, but breakfast is an overlooked meal that can help you reach your produce goals. The addition of fruits or veggies for breakfast offers fiber (to help you feel full longer) and stretches your meal, providing more food for less money. In other words, adding fruits and veggies help breakfast make “cents.” 30 Ways In 30 Days Fruits & Veggies Can Help You Stretch Your Food Budget
A breakfast stir-fry is a yummy and hearty variation on breakfast. In the United States, we often think of stir-fry as a lunch or dinner entrée. However, several countries around the world use rice for many of their meals, including breakfast. Incorporating rice in your breakfast is a great way to get the lasting energy you need to power through your day. The brightly colored red, orange, yellow or green bell peppers, red onion and rich dark green kale provide the perfect pop against the neutral colors of rice, sausage and egg.
The Breakfast Stir-Fry recipe below is simple to prepare and will help you to make it through that mid-morning slump. Breakfast is termed ‘the most important meal of the day’ for a reason. Use this recipe to make your most important meal … your favorite one as well.
Yield: 4-5 servings
- 3 XL eggs
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Cooking spray
- 8 oz cooked turkey breakfast sausage
- ⅓ cup chopped red onion
- ⅔ cup chopped bell pepper – use a variety of colors
- Olive oil
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- ½ – ¾ packet stir fry seasoning
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- ¾ cup feta cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat skillet over medium-low heat and spray with cooking spray. Whisk eggs and milk in a bowl. Cook to a soft scramble. Set aside.
- Cook turkey and break into medium-sized crumbles. Drain excess fat and/or pour into bowl lined with paper towel.
- Sauté onion in olive oil until lightly cooked. Add bell peppers, almonds, and rice. Toss with stir-fry seasoning.
- Add turkey and eggs to rice mixture. Stir in kale and let rest for 2 minutes. Pour into bowl and top with feta cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Alicia Jerome MS, RDN, LDN
Health & Wellness Manager
The United Family of Stores