Chicken and Vegetable Summer Rolls
These cool appetizers are perfect when you don’t want to heat up the kitchen.
They are also a great "make-ahead" item when entertaining guests.
Dipping Sauce:½ cup vegetable broth1 tsp minced onion½ tsp minced garlic½ tsp minced ginger1 tsp lime juice2 Tbsp smooth peanut butterWraps:3 oz fine brown rice noodles1 cup cooked chicken breast, shredded1 cup carrot, peeled and washed1 cup celery, washed1 ½ cups iceberg lettuce, thinly shaved15 mint leaves10 sprigs cilantro5 rice paper wrappers (found in grocery produce section)
1. Pour 8oz boiling water over the rice noodles and allow to soak for 10 minutes. Shock in cold water, drain and refrigerate.
2. In a small saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a simmer with the onion, garlic and ginger. Simmer for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Whisk in the lime juice and peanut butter, allow to cool, then refrigerate.
3. Sliver the carrot and celery into long, thin strips.
4. Arrange a large bowl of hot water and each of your ingredients in front of you on your work surface.
5. Dip one wrapper into the hot water for about 20 seconds until soft. Remove the wrapper and shake off the excess water. Place on a damp towel.
6. Place 1/5 of the noodles, chicken, carrot, celery and lettuce on the edge closest to you. Add 3 mint leaves and 2 sprigs of cilantro.
6. Fold the edges of the wrapper in to enclose the ends of the filling and then roll tightly to completely encase the filling. Repeat with the remaining rolls and ingredients until all 5 rolls have been assembled. Refrigerate until time to serve.
7. For serving, slice each summer roll in half and plate with approximately 1 tablespoon of the dipping sauce.
Recipe by The Culinary Institute of America, developed for Fruits & Veggies – More Matters