The Everyday Chef: Braised Endive
Andrew Dole, RDN, CEC
Everyday Chef, Fruits & Veggies—More Matters
Endive … it’s bitter, bruises easily, and usually not the first choice as a vegetable. But braised, this beautifully shaped gem makes a satisfying, savory side dish. Check out this simple, yet impressive caramelized dish that’s ready in 30 minutes or less.
Braised Endive Recipe
Endive, trimmed and halved
Stock or Water
Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped
Salt & Pepper
1. Place endive cut side down into sauté pan.
2. Add white wine, stock, squeeze of lemon, salt & pepper to endive.
3. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat. Cover with lid. Continue simmering 15-20 minutes or until endive are tender.
4. Remove lid. Increase heat and reduce liquid till almost gone.
5. Remove pan from heat. Plate and garnish.
6. Garnish- with halved grapes, chopped parsley, EVOO.
Taking this recipe to the next level with a hard pan sear:
After braising, pat dry. Bring sauté pan to med/high heat. Add ½ Tbsp canola oil and place braised endive cut side down. Pan sear until caramelized and warmed through.
Photo Credit: Andrew Dole