You need a fiber supplement to get the recommended amount of fiber each day?
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
You can’t get your daily fiber recommendation just from food … a supplement is needed.
WHAT WE KNOW
Fiber is important in a diet for many reasons …
- Numerous studies show that a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, but high in fiber has been associated with reduced risk of certain cancers, diabetes, digestive disorders and heart disease.
- Fiber-rich foods are more filling than other foods so people tend to eat less; this helps with weight maintenance and aids in weight loss.
- Fruits and vegetables (which are high in fiber) are high in antioxidants and phytochemicals, which also protect against certain cancers and heart disease.
- Fiber binds to circulating blood cholesterol and removes it from the body. This decreases the build up of plaque in your arteries (atherosclerosis), which can lead to high blood pressure and heart disease.
- A high-fiber diet stimulates movement in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Therefore, it’s key to preventing many GI disorders.
How much fiber you need is based on age and sex and/or life stage. The chart below fleshes it out …
Adequate Intake (AI) for Fiber
|Age and Sex or Life Stage||Total Fiber (grams/day)|
|0–6 mo||Not determined|
|7–12 mo||Not determined|
|> 70 years||30|
|> 70 years||20|
It’s easy to get your recommended amount of fiber each day without a supplement! There are numerous foods that are high in fiber! Just be aware of what you’re eating and eat a well-balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables (especially beans!) are some of the best sources of fiber, making it easy to meet your daily recommendation and protect you and your family from many diseases.
Be sure to eat fruits and vegetables with every meal and include beans in your daily diet! Also, snack on fruits and vegetables all day long.
Check out our complete list of fruits and vegetables that contain significant amounts of fiber and try our Quick Cauliflower and Chick Pea Curry recipe for a great high-fiber dish!